Saturday 3 January 2015

LET IT GO

I went out on New Year's day and as I drove past a hotel in a busy part of Abuja, I remembered one time I went to look for Nanna's friend who lodged there. She was travelling to the UK and I wanted to giver her somethings for Nanna, who was in the UK. (Nanna is my mum, Avi's grandma). Any way, I remembered how I sat in the lobby, amused by Aviela's singing and dancing. She was 2+ then, and always cute. Fast forward to Avi now, she's 5+ and I always seem to be annoyed by her antics. 

Kids will always be kids and do what normal kids do - annoy their parents. Well, maybe not deliberately. Children are meant to be seen and heard, and apart from teaching them the proper way to behave, if you allow them be, you will enjoy them longer. What is the main difference between Avi singing loudly at 2 and Avi singing loudly at 5? Nothing, except increasing decibels. I do try to enjoy her form of entertainment and when I actually make out time to, it's funny. These days, it's spelling words over and over  and over again, asking the same questions on the way to school and back home. It tries my patience especially on days I need quiet to think (remember it's my favorite thing to do?) and then that's when she decides to sing one song. You all know that song. The one Disney decided to gift to our children to annoy us with. You guessed it - Let It Go! From Frozen.

Genesis 9.9-17...Have you ever looked at a rainbow and wondered how it's made? I know science has (tried to) demystify the actual significance but the truth is, God put it there as a reminder that no matter how far we go from Him, He will never be so angry with us to destroy us. Each time I see a rainbow, whether real or drawn by my daughter, I remember that God has promised not to be angry at or with me for what I have done or failed to do. We should also put things in place to remind us not to be angry at or with our children; no matter what. Children will always be children, and we also need to remember how much they mean to us, and love them in spite of the fact that they repeat the frozen theme song "Let It Go" 200 times in one minute! Learn to actually let it go!

2 comments:

  1. Aww so touching it's time we let our past go what we can't change we learn to forget... like I always say we can never have a better yesterday..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very very true Lydia...learning each day

      Delete