Thursday 31 July 2014

Model Single Mothers

I have had, over the last 17 years of my life, the best women one can look up to and draw strength and inspiration from. I need to be clear on one thing before I go on, I'm not glorifying single motherhood. Period. God is the only  One who knows the tomorrows of every single human on this earth, and He has plans for us - Plan A to Z and back again. 

Mrs Fidelia M. Lake
The first is my mom. Mrs Fidelia Lake (nee Kesena). She has five of us - I'm the firstborn of four girls and a boy. My dad died in March 1999 and she single-handedly brought us up and as far as I know, she did a pretty good job. I'm a Cooker and Bakerist (not a mistake word), the second is a successful Nurse currently working in Saudi and making the world her backyard, the third is a hardworking Marketing Executive at an Events Management outfit, the last girl is a successful photographer, Photojhenie (secret: she's my favorite celebrity!) and the last born is studying to be the best IT whodunnit in the world. See? She tried. She got remarried last year after so many years as a single mom. So yeah, there is hope for us single moms if at 56 my mom gets to know love again! http://www.photojhenie.blogspot.com

Pastor Gloria Mokungah 
The Second is the first pastor I ever called "My Pastor". All the pastors I had known up to this point were my parent's pastors. I just went to that church. From the time I was 18 till I got married, Pastor Gloria Mokungah was a driving force in my life. She became a single mother by the circumstance of death in the early 90s, a few years before my dad died. Her sermons always hit home. She had, and still has, a passion for marriages and homes and as a young single lady, I learnt a lot from her. I got close to her (see God working so far?) and learnt even more. Her life were her sermons. I will never forget the day she and my mom were talking and (can't say what about) and everything stuck! I could see that these two women were strong, only to the world but inside... Well, she was my Pastor until I moved to Abuja because of marriage. I still have sermon notes and remember how she used to call me baby...

Pastor Sarah Omakwu
 And third, my current pastor, Pastor Sarah Omakwu. At first, I had heard about this church where people only danced makossa and I thought to myself, what a happy people they must be! Of course, I went where my ex said we were to go but God wasn't through with my training. I joined the church after Pastor Ina Omakwu had died and I was blown away! She has a beautiful smile and captured my heart completely! I couldn't wait to go to church on Friday and Sunday just so I could see and hear this woman who loves God vivaciously. She inspired me to be a better me as a woman, and after the separation/divorce I looked at her, heard her and knew I would be OK. Again, God brought me a strong single mother who wasn't afraid to use her life as a lesson to me (can't speak for anyone else oh!). It's been 7 years since she became my "Man of God" and I'm still fascinated my her. AND! Today happens to be her birthday. Happy Birthday my dear Pastor!

Somehow, in His deep and mysterious ways, God knew I would come to this point in my life. He made sure that each of the important periods of my life, I had a strong and beautiful single mother to model their life before me. I am humbled by the lessons I have learnt, and I am still learning from each of them about being a single mother. I know that they pray for me always, my mom especially, and I know that I will be OK. Yeah, you too - you'll be OK.

2 comments:

  1. I have read all theses stories all I can say is that his eyes are on the sparrows and I knw he watches over us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly He's watching over us...thank you Lydia

      Delete