Tuesday 28 October 2014

STRAIGHT AHEAD...

There are many ways to get to the market. Usually though, the best routes are the oldest. Such routes may receive a makeover or an upgrade, bottom line is, this is an old route to the market. If there is a new path, it takes a while for that new to become a well worn path. Still, for those who have memorized the old, the new still remains the new and unfamiliar. 

It's not sylish people!
Remember that old sweater you have refused to let go of? You know it, that one riddled with holes in the neck and looks like the fishermen abandoned it - yes! That one. That's the feeling of having the familiar around you. The old is always and most probably will be considered the best. Planta, a top notch margarine brand will remain top notch for me. And if had a choice between a popular brand of juice and the olde fruit maid, guess which would be gulped? And believe me, when Gala first came out, it was superb...


But there are some old and familiar that leaves a bitter taste in your mouth and many times, we, single moms, tend to linger longer than necessary there. I did a re-check of myself after the debacle of last week and asked myself some really tough questions. Why do people tend to think that I haven't moved on? Have I really moved on? How was I pre-marriage and pre-divorce? How different am I now? Adjust these questions to your situation and be honest with yourself. I found out that though I had moved on, I was a shadow of my former self. Maybe life has had that effect on me: I used to wear heels and make-up all the time, did my hair every 4 to 5 weeks and nails were always on point. I made sure I dressed well even to the neighborhood supermarket and I walked to impress. These days, I roll my eyes when Nana tells me to please put on some gloss, wear better shoes, or that what I have on is ugly (she doesn't mince words). For nearly 6 months straight I went without a weave or braids, make up was relegated to Sunday mornings - my excuse was that I like my face bare. And I have driven out with my hairnet on...

Okay, I get that to most people, that's the picture of a person who has parked their car in the past. That's a dangerous path to take in life. The past is past, and no amount of hanging on to the old will make it fit into the new. Jesus said that new wine MUST be put into new wineskins...otherwise a bursting will happen. I have restored myself to a better me...
  • Got braids done - I only EVER do that in January, so that's twice this year. 
  • I bought some spanking new makeup and I wear it everyday except saturday - gotta let my skin breathe. 
  • I cleaned out my shoe cupboard and wear heels everyday - of course I have my trusty old sandals at the ready for sore feet.
  • I wear co-ordinated underwear. Yep, no more holey pants.
  • And I walk with swag 'cos I am SWAG
So I encourage you - you're a single mom, emphasis on single! Leave off every old and familiar that keeps you tied to the past and let's move on together. Be the you that God intended from the onset, regardless of what you have overcome!

2 comments:

  1. Good on you lady. I will try to do same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! Let's let the beauty out!!

    ReplyDelete