Sunday 22 March 2015

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY



Nope! I didn't forget. I just took my time to think about what I want to write. I don't ever want to write simply because. 

I want to take this time and wish all single moms out there HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! I'm sure you all had a beautiful day today or last Sunday...by the way, why are there 2 mothering Sundays in the world? I've always wondered sha...


But beyond the messed up pancakes, sloppy kisses and spilled coffees, there's something we need to be aware of. We have a huge task ahead of us. We are both mother and father to our children and it can be very daunting. In the past few weeks I have been on a stress roller-coaster...moved house, started a new
business and still did school runs to where I used to live (it is a very looong drive and tiring!), and all of that is combined with active service in church AND being mom to BBB. 


No matter how your day goes, it's imperative that you be the one to teach your children the values you want them to learn - not their teachers, friends or nannies. In all my busyness, no matter how short the lesson is, she learns the values I want instilled. Example. For a long time, I have been trying to get Avi to understand the value of respecting other people's property. I'm constantly having to tell her (yell more like) not to touch what isn't hers, or what she wasn't asked to touch. It wasn't making a dent. Then the major incident happened. I had made this cake for a client and left it in my bakery for collection. Someone touched it and broke off a part of the decoration. I asked and she denied it vehemently - if she's guilty, she keeps quiet and doesn't answer. Her aunts, Chippie and Sweetie (another day folks...) both asked her several times and she denied it. I have a running battle with acne, and had a severe case of them on my face. I went to collect her from school and my precious daughter called her friends to laugh at the huge one right in the middle of my forehead. I was cut deep guys, the pain was amazingly painful. I came home and reported her to her aunts, and my cousin. They all told her off. Then at about 7:30pm, she comes to me and says I'm sorry mum. I felt good and gave this speech about how you should never laugh at anyone for anything, least of all your mum. Then my angel proceeds to tell me that she's not apologizing for calling her friends to laugh at my pimple. I asked what for? She said, "I'm the one who touched your cake". You have no idea how hurt I felt that my baby lied to me. I was disappointed ooh! And I couldn't hide it. I told her how I felt and I didn't talk to her for sometime. I was traumatized. 

But the value was instilled FINALLY! She hardly touches things these days - she hasn't completely stopped, were getting there. She hasn't lied to me and stays far away from my cakes. The house has a normal scent - she has finally stopped bathing the house in very expensive perfumes too!! In all of this, the value lessons came from me, not anyone else.

Happy Mother's day, keep doing what you're doing now. It will make sense in the end. You have an eternal source of inspiration to draw from and He will always give you innovative ways to make a lesson stick. If no one wished you a happy mother's day in the past 2 sundays, give yourself a pat on the back and nod at your accomplishment. It didn't easy to be a mama born-boy/girl (not a mistake)!






No comments:

Post a Comment