Tuesday 2 September 2014

STRONG ENOUGH

A series on Marriage and the Family had just concluded in church and rather than move on to another sermon the following Sunday, the church decided to make it a question and answer session. A lot of interesting questions were asked but a particular one caught my attention. In this part of the world, it's a serious enough issue and I want to talk about it today. But rather than present the question as it was asked, I'll paint a better picture for you...

Adaora closed her eyes, pretending she didn't know Kalu had entered the room. He didn't even try to find out if she was awake. Or alive. He went straight to the cot and lifted the baby. Just then, a nurse came in. "Ah! Daddy-daddy! How now? You must be elated!" Kalu's smile was wide and his voice inflected with joy as he asked, " I have a son?"  The nurse frowned slightly and said, "A daughter sir, a beautiful baby girl! In fact, I dare say she looks just like her father!!" Chuckling to herself, she tapped Adaora to take her vitals and administer her drugs to her. That was when she dared to look at her husband's face and what she saw was not good. Making small talk with the nurse, she avoided his icy stare until the nurse was done and left. 
"Obim..." she started. She cleared her throat and started again. " What will you call her?" Kalu closed his eyes and said in a barely audible whisper, "I warned you before. Call her what you want." He dropped the baby back in her cot and walked to the door. He said, "I've packed my things. You and your daughters can live in the house until the rent expires. After that, you're on your own." And without a backward glance, walked out of her room.

Weeks later, Adaora sat in the living room, surrounded by her three daughters who were fast asleep. Another failed reconciliation attempt between her and Kalu had just been concluded an hour ago and reality was sinking in. Kalu wanted a son. She and her daughters were on their own. Not his parents, their friends or even the Pastor could make him stay or take responsibility of his daughters. She looked to her last girl, Kamsi, tears welled up in her eyes. She wondered how she would manage on her own...

The question asked was, what can she do to get him to change his mind? I turned to someone behind me and said she needs to buckle up and move on. The person I said that to was vehement in her response. She was of the opinion that "Kalu" must be made to come back and take responsibility of his daughters. She said he needs to be forced no matter what.

Are there any of you that think that too? Do you feel like you can't make it without him? Whether he is dead or alive, active or not in the care of your little one(s) one thing you must know is that God knows you can, and trusts that you will be able to handle whatever. Remember 1 Corinthians 10: 13 MSG says, "No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; he’ll never let you be pushed past your limit; he’ll always be there to help you come through it." Adaora is not beyond her limit - YOU are not beyond your limit!!

I'll tell you what I said in answer to that question that day. Sometimes, nothing you or anyone can do can make a slack hand strong, so sit up, and buckle down to work hard for your children. Do all you can to do the best for them and God will see you through - I am proof! Is it school fees? Food? Shelter? Battery in your car? Actually God used the church I attend to buy a new battery for me recently - I do know what I am talking about. God owns the cattle on a thousand hills and He can get to you whatever you need. After all is said and done, those children will rise and call you blessed. They will celebrate you in ways you never dreamed.

God knows you are strong enough to be able to handle this and anything else that will come. If you're still waiting for him to come, if you're looking for support from his family or anybody for that matter, you should know that you're strong enough. Always as long as God has you in His Hands...

2 comments:

  1. Reading this blog every time just gives me strength when it seems all is over.....my son and I are blessed more everyday Thank you yvie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous, I am glad to hear this. My prayer for you is that you and your son grow even more to become the best God has purposed for your life...

    ReplyDelete